In Thailand, there are a couple of popular ways to make dessert out of this potato; cooking in ginger syrup, and, in this post, cooking in creamy coconut milk.
You will need:
- 2 Japanese sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size or as you like
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk ( I used "A-roy D" brand, "For dessert" kind)
- 2 Tbsp Palm sugar, or brown sugar for substitute
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C water
- Boil coconut milk and water, then add Japanese sweet potatoes.
- Cook 10-15 minutes until the potato fresh turns yellow, and gets soft.
- Add Palm sugar and salt. Adjust flavor to your preference, then serve.