This steamed fish is a light and healthy dish that is so easy to prepare. It is low in fat, but full of flavor! You can use whole fish or fish fillet, whatever you prefer. I happen to have whole tilapia handy, so it is going to be steamed tilapia for this post.
You will need:
- whole fish
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, cut into 2" pieces, and bruised
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 fresh green and red chilies, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 5 Tbsp juice from fresh limes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- chopped cilantro
- Scale, gut, and clean whole fish. Rinse and pat dry. Stuffed the stomach with lemongrass pieces.
- Make a few slashes on both sides of fish.
- To the sauce, mix together garlic, chili, fish sauce, lime juice, and chicken stock. Adjust the taste to your preference.
- Set fish in a heat-proof dish, on the steamer.
- Pour the prepared sauce over fish.
- Cover the steamer, and steam for about 12-15 minutes, or until fish is thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime slices.
- Served with cooked rice, and enjoy!