You will need:
- 1 can (4 oz.) Red Curry paste
- 1 can (14 0z.) coconut milk
- 2 cups bite-size piece chicken thigh, or breast
- 2 cups bamboo shoot strips, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes and strained a few times, or until the water is no longer yellow.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, julienned
- 1 cup loosely-packed fresh Thai basil leaves
1. Pour 1/3 can of coconut milk in cooking pot over medium-high heat. Once heated, add Red Curry paste. Stir to mix together, then simmer until fragrant and oil breaking from the mixture, about 3 minutes.
2. Add chicken to the pot and stir to mix well with the curry sauce. When chicken is cooked, add bamboo shoot strips.
3. Then, add the rest of coconut milk (2/3 can), and add 1 cup of water to the pot as well. Bring it to a boil, and simmer for about 5 minute over medium-high heat.
4. Add palm sugar and fish sauce. Taste and adjust the flavor if needed. The curry sauce shouldn't be runny, nor too thick. Add a little more water if too thick.
5. Add red bell pepper and jalapeno pepper. Stir to mix into the curry. I like my pepper al dente, so I would turn off the heat at this point. If you like them cooked, leave the heat on for a couple more minutes.
6. Finally, add Thai basil leaves to the pot, after you turn off the heat. Mix well.
You can serve this curry with steamed rice, over rice noodle, or even over spaghetti noodle.
Thai cooking made easy! Enjoy :)