Flavor profile of this Yum Nue, or Thai Spicy Beef Salad is the balance of sour, salty, sweet, spicy, and umami flavors.
You will need:
- 1 lb. boneless chuckeye steak
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup shallots or red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Chinese celery, or celery heart, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. palm sugar, or brown sugar
- 1-2 Thai chili peppers, or 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1. Combine lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili pepper in a small bowl. Stir until sugar dissolved and well-mixed. Adjust the taste to your preference. Set aside.
2. Season steak with salt and pepper. Then, grill or broil steak to your preferred doneness. Allow the cooked steak to rest 5 minutes, before you slice into bite-size strips.
3. In large bowl, add steak strips, cucumber, tomatoes, shallots, celery, cilantro, and the dressing. Toss gently to combine all ingredients.
4. Serve as a side salad, or a main dish if you like. You can also serve on a bed of lettuce, or salad greens.