Saturday, June 27

Green Papaya Sald: Som Tum

Som Tum - or Thai Green Papaya Salad - is one of my most favorite this dishes! It is healthy and very nutritious, and full of flavors. The dish is very easy to make once you have all the ingredients on hand. The main ingredient is the shredded green papaya. Tomato and long bean are also a must-have. I just didn't have any long bean today... The rest are garlic, chili peppers, fish sauce, fresh lime juice, and palm sugar. Roasted peanuts and dried shrimps are usually added as well. I didn't have those handy, but I used some salted crabs to make a Northeastern-style Som Tum, the way I like back at home. All the ingredients are pounded together in a mortar using pestle. This beautifully unique salad gives you all the flavor -- salty, sweet, sour, and spicy. I always enjoy it with sticky rice, and BBQ chicken or grilled steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Subscribe to My Posts via E-mail

Enter your email address: