Monday, June 22

Steak for "Dad"

There is nothing more perfect than Big Juicy Steak for a dad on Father's Day. And when it comes to choosing the cut of meat, rib eye is my favorite choice. Rib-eye cuts have beautiful marbling which adds deep beefy flavor and juiciness to steaks.

We had our Father's Day dinner at home. I grilled rib-eye steaks, asparagus, and garlic bread. I also caramelized yellow onions as another side dish to our meal. With a little bit of time and patience, the precesses of breaking down and browning natural sugar in the onion provide a melt-in-your-mouth texture and rich flavor caramelized onions.
To season a steak is really up to your own preference. To me a very good cut only need a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper - sea salt and freshlyground whole black pepper.. And in order to add another layer of flavor to a steak, I add some dried bold herbs. Store-bought mix would even do the job. My trick is to also add lots of fresh, minced garlic, then drizzle with a little olive oil. Let the steaks sit a little bit while you prepare something elses, and get the grill ready.
As for the asparagus, I marinated them for about an hour in the mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, minced garlic, minced shallot, salt and pepper. Grill until charred but still retained its bright-green color. When done I toss them back in the reserved marinade before serving.

To cook, I preheated the grill to high heat for 15-20 minutes. I grilled the steaks over direct heat, about 5-7 minutes on each side (depends on the thinckness of your meat). Turning only once, and never use knife, fork, or even thermometer, to pierce steaks to check for doneness. You don't want to drain the juice and the goodness of the steak into the grill. Just try to "feel" it by pressing on the steak. When done and removed from the heat, the steaks need to rest for about 5-7 minutes so that the juice would redistribute into the entire piece of steaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Subscribe to My Posts via E-mail

Enter your email address: